2012 International Mathematics Competition (TAIMC 2012)
Please find in the attachment containing the Official Invitation for the Taiwan International Mathematics Competition 2012 (TAIMC 2012) to be held in Taipei, Taiwan, from 23rd - 28th July 2012. The competition is composed of two divisions:
a) 2012 Elementary Mathematics International Competition (EMIC 2012)
b) 2012 Invitational World Youth Mathematics Intercity Competition (IWYMIC 2012)
Simultaneously, we will also host the
"World Conference on the Mathematically Gifted Students - the role of Educators and Parents".
Among others, the attachment also consists of:
* Application Forms, and
* Information and Guidelines of TAIMC 2012
We warmly invite your country or city to send two teams for each division.
We will prioritize and accept the participating teams recommended by the education agency or non-profit organization of your country. In case, your country expresses its interest to participate in the competition in excess of the allotted slots, a written elimination exam must be conducted and given by the third party of that particular country duly recognized by the Executive Board of International Mathematics Competition, so that only qualified contestants will be selected. We strictly discourage any individual using monetary influence to secure a seat for joining the competition. Once the Executive Board discovers or receives any report of such irregularity, the said country or the organization will no longer be invited to join the competition in the future. We will be very happy if you can help us forward the complete attachment to the person-in-charge of the international mathematics competition in case your office is not the one taking charge of this matter.
We will appreciate it very much if you can acknowledge receipt of this e-mail together with the number of teams to be participated in each competition of the TAIMC.
Government official, educators and accompanying persons are most welcome to participate in the special program of TAIMC 2012, which is "World Conference on the Mathematically Gifted Students - the role of Educators and Parents."
Tentative Schedule of activities for "World Conference on the Mathematically Gifted Students - the role if Educators and Parents" are as follow:
July 24, 2012
14:00-17:00 Conference for the Educators (expecting around 200 participants to be in attendance); Prof Andy Liu will conduct a math lecture for the student-participants.
July 25, 2012
Conference for the Parents and Teachers:
10:00-12:00 "Teaching the Gifted Child" , 14:00-17:00 "Nurturing the Gifted Child"
We are expecting around 400 participants to be in attendance.
Presenters will have about 15 minutes to present their work at the conference with at least 5 minutes for questions and comments from the audience. Each interested educators and/or parents who wish to be a presenter must submit his/her title and description to the organizer on or before March 30, 2012.
The organizer will send a notice of acceptance on April 16, 2012. The complete paper of the presenter must be submitted to the organizer on or before May 31, 2012. The power point of his/her presentation must be submitted to the organizer before June 30, 2012.
If you have any queries, please feel free to contact:
E-mail: Ms. Patricia Bian at firstname.lastname@example.org or
Mr. SUN Wen-Hsien, at email@example.com
You may find the past problems from the website.
Please note that: when the application form is submitted to the organizer, it does not guarantee an immediate approval of your application. The acceptance of entries or teams will be determined on or before 15 March 2012 after consultation with IMC Executive Board.
We feel very sorry if you have received this letter several times.
Chairman, IMC Executive Board
President, Chiu Chang Mathematics Education Foundation
No.8, Lane 157, Sec.1, Da-An Road
Taipei, 106, Taiwan, R.O.C.
TAIMC 2012 Guidelines
1. IMC 2012 Objectives
- To organize an international mathematics competition for key stage II (upper primary education) and key stage III (lower secondary education) students;
- To motivate teachers and students to improve the teaching and learning of mathematics and high-order thinking skills;
- To establish networks of cooperation for the improvement of international mathematics;
- To provide students with opportunities to exchange mathematics knowledge and practice and engage in cultural experiences in participating cities and countries;
- To raise the school mathematics curriculum to international standards; and
- To provide mathematics teachers and parents of gifted students an international forum to exchange best practice ideas and experience in the teaching of mathematics.
2. Divisions of CompetitionTAIMC 2012 is composed of 2 divisions:
- Key Stage II Division (Upper Primary Education)
- Key Stage III Division (Lower Secondary Education)
3. Qualifications of ParticipantsParticipants must have the following qualifications:
- Key Stage II: Participants must meet the following two conditions:
- Students must not be enrolled in the secondary schools or in any equivalent institutions; and
- Students must have been born on or after 25 July 1998.
- Key Stage III: Participants must meet the following two conditions:
- Students must not be enrolled in the upper secondary education or in any equivalent institutions;
- Students must have been born on or after 25 July 1995.
4. Participation and ApplicationParticipation in the competition is by invitation. Any invited city or country may put forward up to 2 teams to participate in each division. Each team may comprise a maximum of 6 members: a team leader, a deputy leader, and 4 students, except these countries: Bulgaria, China, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Macau, Malaysia, Nepal, Philippines, South Africa, South Korea and Thailand, whose status as former or soon-to-be hosts of the IMC activities allows them to send four teams to participate in each division.
5. Types of ContestThere will be two kinds of contest in each division namely an individual contest and team contests. It is necessary for all participants to take part in both contests as well as the other scheduled activities.
6. Competition papersThe participating country must send ten proposed problems, using Word files written in English, for the Key Stage II contest and the Key Stage III contest; that is, 5 for the individual contest and another 5 for the team contest. These need to be sent to the IMC 2012 Committee via e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org on or before 30 May 2012 for consideration and preparation of competition papers. The team leaders must avoid using the exact proposed problems that they submit to the organizers in training their contestants. The contest papers may be translated into one's native language on 24 July 2012, after the opening ceremony.
7. TAIMC 2012 Technical CommitteeTAIMC 2012 Technical Committee comprises of experts from Taiwan and members of IMC Executive Board.
8. Awards and Prizes
- Individual Award: gold, silver, bronze medals and Merit Certificate. Approximately two-thirds of the contestants will receive Individual Awards, in the form of Gold, Silver and Bronze Medals as well as merit certificate, in approximately the ratio 1:2:3:4.
- Group Award: champion, 1st and 2nd runner-up trophies The highest score of the three contestants in each team for Individual Contest will be summed up. Prizes will be award to the top teams with the highest scores of each group in the form of one Champion, two 1st runner-up and three 2nd runner-up. If there is a tie, the team whose 4th contestant scores with higher marks in the Individual Contest will win.
- Team Award: champion, 1st and 2nd runner-up trophies In the team contest, the total score of all contestants in each team is considered the team score. The teams are first ranked by their total scores. Ties are broken according to the scores of individual problems, starting with the most difficult one. Prizes will be given to one Champion, two 1st runner-up and three 2nd runner-up of different groups. Grouping will be done through drawing of lots.
- Overall Award: Grand Champion, 1st and 2nd runner-up trophies The Overall Prize is awarded according to the sum of the four team members' score in the Individual Contest, and of the team's score in the Team Contest. The maximum score is 4×150+400=1000 (for EMIC) and 4×120+400=880 (for IWYMIC). Second and Third Prizes are also awarded.
- Certificate: Every participant will receive an IMC 2012 certificate.
9. Period of Application and Procedure
- Any interested city or country must submit the application letter via these e-mail addresses (email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org) on or before February 25, 2012. The organizer will send to your team the acceptance notice on or before 5 March 2012.
- A filled-in registration form must be submitted via e-mail to the organizer on or before 30 May 2012.
- Each participating team must inform the organizer about its arrival and departure schedule at the Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport in Taoyuan County on or before 30 June 2012. Please indicate the exact terminal of your teams' arrival so that welcome preparation may be properly accorded to your delegation.
The organizer will take charge of all official expenses including meals, accommodation, and transport for sightseeing, of the teams from each invited city or country during the official period of TAIMC (23rd-28th July 2012).
Participants who intend to stay in Taiwan beyond the official duration (early arrival or late departure) are responsible for their own accommodation arrangements and food expenses.
Observers, parents and other accompanying persons have to pay US$650/pax for accommodation, meals, transportation, and sightseeing during the period of official competition.
Two rooms (1 twin-bed room for 2 persons and 1 two king side-bed room for 4 persons) will be assigned to every participating team. Participants have to share rooms with their own team members or with members of the other teams of their own country or another country.
Each country may send up to two additional or extra teams comprising the same members as the officially invited teams, that is, 4 participants, 1 team leader and 1 deputy team leader. Each member of the additional or extra teams must pay US$650 for the accommodation, meals, transport, and sightseeing during the period of the official competition. However, members of this extra team may be arranged to stay in another hotel.
Each participating team is responsible for the travel expenses from its homeland to Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport, including visa fees and other expenses for its entry to Taiwan.
11. Proposed ItineraryView the proposed itinerary.
12. Official LanguagesEnglish and Chinese will be the official languages of TAIMC 2012.
13. OrganizerMain Organizer: Chiu Chang Mathematics Education Foundation Sponsor:
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Ministry of Education
- Bureau of Foreign Trade
- Tourism Bureau
- Council of Labor Affairs of the Republic of China (Taiwan)
- Department of Information and Tourism of Taipei City Government
14. Medical Care for ParticipantsThe organizer will procure accident insurance for all participants during the official period of the competition. The insurance will cover accidents leading to death or permanent disability of the body; therefore, all participants are advised to arrange medical insurance by themselves.
15. Additional InformationEach participating country should do the following:
- Inform the organizer in advance of any specified dietary requirements or restrictions;
- Prepare a 5 minute cultural performance for the cultural night;
- Complete visa procedures before arriving in Taiwan
- Check the website of the Bureau of Consular Affairs Ministry of Foreign Affairs to prevent possible problems/ inconveniences.